Sunday, August 13, 2006

Male abuse victim's 'lost childhood' A male victim of sexual abuse in Northern Ireland has told how he feels robbed of his childhood. Gerard was abused when he was a boy by his neighbour, Joseph Henry Bateson. Bateson was jailed for 11 years in March 2004 for a string of sex offences, including gross indecency and indecent assault. He had been described in court as an "ideal father and husband." Gerard said he felt that because of what had happened to him, he had been given a life sentence. "My childhood was robbed. I was sentenced to a life sentence to carry what happened to me as a child. "Joseph Bateson will get out, he will serve his time." He said he felt a sense of shock, but also relief, after the court case ended. "I felt nothing after it; I was shocked, I absolutely couldn't speak," he said. "All I remember is that my father hit me in the back and said: 'Keep your head up son, you've done well'. "It just hit me then that, after four years, I'd got there legally, and it was a relief." Gerard believes that the law needs to be tougher on sex offenders. "The law is not anywhere near tough enough. I was sentenced to carry this for the rest of my life, from 1979. "Twenty-seven years later I'm still carrying it. Mr Bateson will be out in five and half years. He was sentenced to 11 years. Where's the justice in that? "I didn't actually know going through the legal process that at the end of it all Bateson will get 50% remission. "I thought it was only a political thing, I didn't know it was to do with other prisoners as well. There's a whole stigma attached to male sexual abuse Gerard Sex abuse victim "Most of these sex offenders... do they ever change? "The law has to be looked at, something has to change." He said it was a very difficult to come forward after being abused. However, he decided to talk about his experiences to try to help other men or boys who have been abused. "There's a whole stigma attached to male sexual abuse. It's very much a man's world. I work in the building trade. Sometimes, growing up, I did feel less of a person, less of a man, maybe, for what happened to me. "The guys out at work, on the sites, everybody showed me massive respect, very, very much so. A lot of people have shook me by the hand on building sites and thanked me for coming forward. "Everybody who's important to me knows what happened and that's why I can come forward and speak about it. I have all the people behind me round home, round my area and my family. "Hopefully it will help other people, to make it easier for other people to come forward. If I can do it, anybody else can do it. I'm just an ordinary person. " Story from BBC NEWS:http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/northern_ireland/4785263.stm
Published: 2006/08/11 20:50:15 GMT

2 comments:

keepers said...

Maria

at least he got some sense of his tormentor having to pay for it somehow. sadly all countires are way too lenient on sex crimes and sad to say we see no changes in how they are treated. maybe someday?? maybe we can have something to say about it someday?

Keepers

Mariaehart said...

Hello My Dear Friends:)

Yes I agree at least this survivor gentleman got some sense of his tormentor indeed but what a paltry sentence for what this abuser did imo and yes indeed I could not agree with you more that sadly all countries are way too lenient on abuse of all kinds and imo I have always believed rightly or wrongly that the justice systems in place are so geared in favour of the abuser and not the abused and it has to change and be far much tougher on abusers for their abusive actions against us all as this gentleman said in this article he is and has been serving a life sentence because of the abuse that happened to him and imo the bloody abuser isn't is he? for what he did we have to see much tougher penalties handed out to abusers all over the world instead of these paltry soft sentences we see time and time again imo Grrrrrrrrrrrrr:( yes indeed maybe someday if the powers that be wake up and take notice not of these horrid abusers in our society but the victims/survivors who have been abused my friends thank you very much for your comments much appreciated indeed:)
Lots of Love
Your Friend
~Maria~
xxx